As of 19 March 2012 1685 Commendtions for Brave Conduct had been awarded

Listed below are the citations for some of those awardees. 

More awardees can be found on the Australian Honours Lists produced by the Australian Honours Secretariat. 


Timothy Arnold 

Mid-afternoon on 28 February 2007, Mr Arnold assisted several motorists caught in flash flooding in Menangle Park, New South Wales. 

Following a heavy rain burst, major flash flooding occurred at Menangle Park. As the water rose, one vehicle from the car park was pushed into a culvert, effectively plugging the escape route for the rushing water. As the water continued to rise quickly, more than thirty vehicles began to submerge in the turbulent water and float towards the stormwater drain. Concerned that people were trapped in their vehicles, Mr Arnold and others entered the fast flowing water to check for people in the moving vehicles. The water was now more than two metres deep. Seeing that a man was in difficulty in the torrent, Mr Arnold linked arms with another rescuer and went to assist, however they were swept over the school fence onto the raised roadway to safety. 

For his actions, Mr Arnold is commended for brave conduct. 


Anthony Ayres

In the mid-morning of 10 September 2009, Mr Ayres assisted the occupants of a capsized boat at Point Cartwright, Queensland. 

Mr Ayres was working nearby when he became aware that a fishing boat had capsized in a moderate to rough swell near Mooloolaba. He observed several men struggling in the surf and ran down to assist. Seeing a man lying face down in the water, he immediately entered the water and swam towards him. Battling the incoming waves, he managed to reach the man, roll him over and attempt to resuscitate him. Mr Ayres continued to struggle, and was eventually provided with assistance as he approached the shore. Unfortunately the man was unable to be revived. 

For his actions, Mr Ayres is commended for brave conduct. 


Senior Constable Cameron Caine 

On 7 February 2009, Senior Constable Caine provided ongoing assistance to stranded residents and motorists during the ‘Black Saturday’ bushfires at Kinglake and surrounding areas, Victoria. 

Senior Constable Caine was on duty with a colleague when they became aware of a fast advancing firestorm. They were driving into Pheasant’s Creek when they came upon about 40 cars at the local store, containing frightened members of the public. Surrounded by pine forest and with the store containing fuel bowsers, the group had begun to panic. Senior Constable Caine received word to evacuate to the Kinglake West Country Fire Authority (CFA). As it became black as midnight, Senior Constable Caine gave orders for the vehicle convoy to leave Pheasants Creek and was one of the last to leave the area before the store was destroyed by the firestorm. As he drove towards Kinglake West, Senior Constable Caine stopped frequently to advise members of the public to evacuate to the CFA. After receiving advice that 15 children were trapped at Kinglake West Primary School both officers ran to the school to investigate, however no children were found. In difficult conditions, Senior Constable Caine and his colleague continued to patrol through the night and at one stage transported an injured woman to Whittlesea for medical attention. They continued to provide comfort and support to many distressed survivors until the following day. 

For his actions, Senior Constable Caine is commended for brave conduct. 


Dan Campbell

 During the early evening of 25 March 2009, Mr Campbell rescued a woman and her young daughter from their submerged vehicle during a flash flood at Hinchinbrook, New South Wales. 

During a sudden electrical storm, flash flooding occurred on Cowpasture Road, Hinchinbrook where road works were being carried out. As several vehicles crossed the flooded area a vehicle became submerged up to the door. Mr Campbell witnessed this and heard a female driver screaming for help. He immediately stopped his vehicle and entered the fast flowing waist-deep water. Reaching the vehicle, he saw a woman and her young daughter trapped inside. Unable to open the door, they wound down a window which allowed Mr Campbell to grab hold of the girl and carry her out of the water. He then returned and helped the woman out of the car and with the help of the police, who had just arrived, moved her to safety. 


Benjamin Carroll 

On the morning of 26 January 2010, Mr Carroll assisted in the rescue of a man from the Brisbane River, Queensland. 

Police and ambulance units attended the William Jolly Bridge, Brisbane River, South Brisbane in response to a man who had jumped into the river. One of the police officers jumped into the river and swum about 75 metres to the distressed man, who refused assistance. Another police officer and Mr Carroll, an ambulance officer, also arrived and assessed the situation. They removed their uniforms, entered the water and went to assist. All three men managed to drag the aggressive man back to safety. At the river bank the intoxicated man continued to abuse the officers and resisted all efforts of assistance. The man had to be heavily sedated prior to being transported to hospital for assessment. 

For his actions, Mr Carroll is commended for brave conduct. 


Glen Damro 

On the afternoon of 28 June 2000, Mr Damro (then Sergeant) apprehended an armed offender in bushland near Childers, Queensland. 

After tracking an alleged offender for several days, Sergeant Damro and a colleague closed in on the man through dense bushland. The man was responsible for a fire that occurred five days earlier at the Childers Palace Backpackers hostel. Approaching him in thick scrub, they saw that he had a large knife. The offender refused to drop his knife as requested, choosing to lunge at Sergeant Damro instead. Sergeant Damro immediately released the tracking dog who tried to apprehend the offender. A struggle took place, and the dog was attacked with the knife as he took hold of the offender’s arm. Sergeant Damro called the dog away and continued to order the offender to drop the weapon, without success. A short while later, the dog again attacked the man and brought the offender to the ground, before Sergeant Damro quickly moved forward to disarm him. During a struggle the man stabbed Sergeant Damro in the jaw before being rolled onto his side. His colleague fired at the offender, who dropped the knife and was apprehended. 

For his actions, Mr Damro is commended for brave conduct. 


Scott Hahne

On the morning of 30 July 2009, Mr Hahne assisted at the scene of a serious single vehicle accident at Edmonton, Queensland. 

Mr Hahne was travelling on the Bruce Highway when he witnessed a massive cloud of dust and a vehicle somersaulting in the air. It landed on the opposite side of the highway to its original direction of travel and burst into flames. Mr Hahne immediately drove to the scene to offer assistance. Fire extinguishers were used to contain the flames while Mr Hahne and another man tried to prise open the driver’s side door. Still trapped inside, the young driver was barely conscious, with his vital signs erratic. Mr Hahne continued to assist but was concerned that the victim not be moved as the nature and extent of his injuries were unknown. Emergency services arrived to manage the accident scene, but sadly, the driver succumbed to his serious injuries and later died in hospital. 

For his actions, Mr Hahne is commended for brave conduct. 


Samuel Hofbauer

On the afternoon of 17 August 2005, Mr Hofbauer rescued a woman from drowning in the River Thames in London. 

Mr Hofbauer, then aged 60, was a passenger on board a tourist boat on the Thames when he saw a woman jump from a bridge into the water. Mr Hofbauer jumped fully clothed into the fast-flowing water and, as the current carried the woman towards him, grabbed hold of her and swam her towards a buoy, which supported them both until a rescue craft arrived. 

For his actions, Mr Hofbauer is commended for brave conduct. 


Master Tyler Moon

On the morning of 8 May 2004, Master Moon, although severely injured, sought help for his father after a quad bike accident near Milton, New South Wales. 

Tyler, then 7 years old, was a passenger on the back of a quad bike driven by his father on their family property. A branch became wedged under one of the front wheels of the bike tipping it over and trapping both Tyler and his father underneath, causing multiple injuries to both. However, they managed to free themselves and attempted to walk back to their home some two kilometres away. After walking less than one kilometre, Mr Moon collapsed and was unable to go any further. Tyler, in an effort to get help for his father, walked to a neighbour’s house but found no-one home. He then continued to his own home, another 500–600 metres away. After telling his mother about the accident, Tyler collapsed suffering a broken left arm, a broken left scapula, seven broken ribs and punctured lungs. 

For his actions, Master Moon is commended for brave conduct. 


Mary Nicado

On the morning of 19 July 2003, Mrs Nicdao helped to apprehend an armed robber at a newsagency in Annandale, New South Wales. 

Mrs Nicdao was working in a shop when she heard a male screaming for someone to call the police. With others from her shop, Mrs Nicdao went outside and saw the owner of the newsagency lying on the footpath holding another man to prevent him from leaving. She heard him say that the man had a gun. Mrs Nicdao and one of her colleagues helped restrain the man until the police arrived. 

For her actions, Mrs Nicdao is commended for brave conduct.